Wednesday, August 19, 2009

THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENS.....

Hello ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to The Chase Beecher Show! This is my first post on my first day on this blog. I have been getting this thing together for months. Does it show? Do you like the set? (What set?)
Since it is my first day, today is all about firsts. I could tell you about my first pair of shoes (my feet were so big, even then, they had to be specially made.) I could tell you about my first kiss. (She missed and kissed my chin, getting a mouth full of goatee.) But I want to tell you about my first passage into manhood. My first shave....

I remember when I was 13 years old. I had a teensy bit of peach fuzz on my face and I thought that it was time for me to become a man. My father is one of these rough and tough cowboy types that has always had a beard. Anytime he has shaved he does it with just warm water and a blade. I have come to find out this hurts. I think he shaved like this just to make himself look tough.
So, I go in our bathroom, shut the door and get the hot water running. I grab a new razor blade out of the cupboard. Butterflies are fluttering in my tummy. Today I cross the bridge from child to man. Wait. Stop. I am not going to do this without shaving cream! I looked high and low. The next best thing was a tube of "Victoria's Secret Sweet Pea English Tea Party Sissy Foo-Foo Girlie Girl" lotion. It will work. So I did it. I applied it all over my face, up to my eybrows. I butchered my face with the blade, and rinsed and then ran out to show my mother.
Now, my mother was a tender loving soul. Unless, you crossed her. I told her that I shaved, and her eyes welled up with tears! "You DID WHAT?!?!" "WITH WHAT?!?!" I tried to explain it was a good thing. She was so mad. She was mad and overdramatic, like a daytime soap actress! She kept repeating "You will regret this for the rest of your life! You will have to shave everyday now! It will just keep growing! I have lost my baby! My baby! " At this point she was almost sobbing. Sobbing, folks. I think she even wanted to keep the peach fuzz to preserve what was left of her "little baby." I was flabbergasted. How could this not be a good thing? Well, I learned. The next day I woke up with 5'o clock shadow and now look like the Wolfman if I miss a day. One time I went for a month without a shave and walked down the street, and someone even gave me money! They told me they felt sorry and to go get a hot meal, whatever that meant.
That was my first shave. It was also the first time I learned ask mom first.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! You had me laughing from about where you started talking about your dad and how he shaves with just water. I'm really excited to read your blog. First one is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Especially the Victoria's Secret Sweet Pea English Tea Party Sissy Foo Foo Girly Girl Part!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome! only i wanted to keep reading and there was nothing more to read! good job!

    ReplyDelete